回复:190 阅读:18207
为发展中国的病理事业, 为病理学科后继有人,Let’s work together!

谈东风 离线

帖子:255
粉蓝豆:14
经验:336
注册时间:2010-04-09
加关注  |  发消息
楼主 发表于 2010-05-27 08:17|举报|关注(0)
浏览排序[ 顺序 逆序 楼主 支持 精彩 ]  快捷回复
姓    名:    
标本名称: Major challenges facing pathology and pathologists in China.
简要病史: In the past 30 years, China has transformed significantly and made outstanding achievement in many fields.  For example, China now has the best high-speed trains, best 5 star hotels, best shopping malls, and so on. That is all wonderful. But in the meantime, pathology services in China have not been improved portionally.
肉眼检查:  国病理人才越来越少,病理学科的发展停滞不前.

诊断: 症结就在于 pathology as an important medical discipline is misclassified in China

I agree with many points made by  “不能考执业的病理研究生都来看看.  In fact, “病理研究生无法报考执医而从业” is only one of the major challenges facing pathology and pathologists in China.  There are several other related issues and serious challenges.

I.   症结就在于 pathology is misclassified in ChinaIn most part of the world, including U.S.A, pathology service belongs to one of key clinical disciplines! But pathology diagnostic service in China is classified as “second class, auxiliary” clinical discipline. 

The inappropriate classification of pathology in clinical disciplines determines the social-economic status of pathology and pathologists.  As a result, the misclassification of pathology causes subsequently three key problems, among others:

(1)    The status of pathology service is not well respected by other “major” clinical services. 病理学科在疾病的诊断和治疗中的关键作用有目共睹. Pathology diagnosis is the gold standard! But in China, only when a malpractice happens, people (the CEOs, presidents of the hospitals) realize the importance of pathology. Otherwise, not much attention is paid to pathology. 病理科是不讨好的科室. Pathologists are just humble “grandchildren” in the hospital. 病理科 often time has  small work spaces, unfavorable locations, and very limited resource allocations of the hospital budget.

(2)    病理医生低收入. In USA, pathology is very competitive medical discipline, and pathologists in USA are paid reasonably well compared to other clinical disciplines! One of the main reasons is that the pathology diagnostic service fees in USA consist of “professional component (about 70%), and material/instrument component (about 30%)”. But in China, the services fees consist mainly of material/instrument component. We need to change this: pathologists in China need to get higher salaries!

(3)    Because of the above 1 and 2,  国病理人才越来越少,病理学科的发展停滞不前. A lot of young students with interest and knowledge of pathology are ending up doing something else!

I have visited more than 80 Chinese hospitals/university medical centers since I practiced pathology in U.S.A in 1999. There are significant shortages of good dedicated pathologists in China. Many places re-hired retired pathologists/professors since talent young medical students want to do other medical disciplines rather than pathology because the above problems. As a matter of fact, the situation was not the same when I was studying pathology in China in early 1980. At that time,  pathology service was still considered as a clinical discipline as other major medical disciplines and many dedicated medical graduates chose pathology as a career.

II.  In summary,  new policy should be considered to address problems of pathology in China.  New policy should be discussed, planned, tested, and implemented based on three major aspects, namely professional input, international standards, and the demands from the society!!

(1). Professional input, as stated in the above, is already very clear.

(2). International standards are also easy to check via web, international pathology organizations, and international pathologists including myself.

(3). The demands from the society, from the patients, are very high. China has transformed significantly during the past 30 years.  For example, China now has the best 5 star hotels, best high-speed trains, and best shopping malls. That is wonderful. But pathology services have not been improved during the same period of time. In fact, they are becoming worse.  China, and Chinese people need the best pathologists!! Chinese patients need to enjoy the best quality of pathology diagnosis services!!

III. We need to work together to solve the problems. Each and everyone of the pathology community have the responsibility and duty to respond to the problems. We need every 病理医生积极主动参与的热情. The following are major suggestions:

(1). To mobilize all national and local pathology organizations. It is very important to act as a massive group, with a stronger voice! To mobilize the media: newspapers, websites, radio and TV stations. Huaxia Pathology website is a very useful platform. To unite organizations of other medical disciplines, which are relied on pathology services.

(2) To address the issues one by one directly: namely RECLASSIFY PATHOLOGY DIAGNOSTIC SERVICE AS A MAJOR CLINICAL MEDICAL DISCIPLINE!! SO IT WILL promote the social-economic status of pathology service and pathologists among the professional field of medicine.

By doing this, the whole landscape of pathology will change: more and more people will do pathology, more and more resources will be allocated to pathology services and pathology research. The final mission of medicine, serving the patients well, will be accomplished. However, these all need the involvement of pathology organizations and every pathologist. Everyone can make a contribution to this effort.

To address the problem of 病理研究生无法报考从业,  it also needs to 制定一个严格的完善的准入、管理体系, 准许病理研究生直接参加医师考试. But 病理研究生 still needs to be trained for additional years before being allowed to sign out pathology diagnosis report.

发展国的病理事业, 病理有人Let’s work together

I certainly will try my best to contribute to this long-term project.

谈东风   May 27, 2010 from Houston.

标签:
添加参考诊断
×参考诊断

回复:190 阅读:18207
【免责声明】讨论内容仅作学术交流之用,不作为诊疗依据,由此而引起的法律问题作者及本站不承担任何责任。
快速回复
进入高级回复
您最多可输入10000个汉字,按 "Ctrl" + "Enter" 直接发送
搜索回复/乘电梯 ×
按内容
按会员