rebecca 离线

帖子:2771
粉蓝豆:52
经验:3408
注册时间:2006-09-25
加关注  |  发消息
楼主 发表于 2011-03-03 23:57|举报|关注(0)
浏览排序[ 顺序 逆序 楼主 支持 精彩 ]  快捷回复

I was standing on the cemented platform waiting for the train that would take me to College, my untucked shirt flapping wildly in the unrelenting autumn gusts.  I had been absent-mindedly opening and shutting my cellphone screen for the last 5 minutes.

Should I call them?  One of my inner voices echoed...

Well, even if you call, can't you wait for a couple of days? you just had a birthday party over there 2 days ago along with some profligate spending and you're now calling them begging for a job?   Another voice opinionated...

I flipped my cellphone open once agan, nervously punched the number and hit the call button. First ring....Second ring....Third ring....

Hello?  Answered a male voice tinged with a slight Chinese accent. It must've been Lee, the manager of the restaurant. An amiable man as far as I could've recalled from our past brief encounters.

Hi Mr.Li.. It's Wei speaking. Hope you still remember me, just had a party a couple of days ago in your restaurant.  I feigned a slow and articulate piece of introductions.

Yeah.. Sure. A curt response from Lee.  

Then ensued a brief moment of silence on both sides.

I was just wondering if I could have a job in your restaurant. I'm broke. I immediately snapped at myself for saying the last bit. I'm broke sounded sentimental and melodramatic. Couldn't I find a more diplomatic word to convey the same meaning?

Well.... Another awkward pause. The boss is on vaccations now and I am just a manager and have no right to hire people.

I understand... I forced a smile on my face and delivered a polite response.

But you seem a nice boy and you said you need money. So why don't you come this friday and I will try to come up with something for you to do. It's only going to be temporary until the boss comes back and makes her final decision? What do you think?

I was elated with what I just heard, but I did my best to sound calm. 'Yeah, that'll be fine. Thank you.'
I clapped my phone close just as the loudspeaker was announcing the imminent arrival of my train.

Finally, I got a job even though it might only be temporary. I knew I had to impress Lee and the 'boss' who would come back in a matter of weeks.

I had a bank balance of ZERO and I boarded the train, unaware of what I got myself into...

【转帖按】
这是一位留美本科生在遥远异乡依靠勤工俭学支撑自己艰辛不易的留学生涯,并根据自己在中餐馆打工经历撰写出自传体小说初稿。作者现年23岁,本科主修Pre-Business,本科四年荣获全额奖学金($4万/年)的国际学生。现已被IIT,UT等多所大学研究生院取录(2011年)。

标签:
signature
三十功名尘与土,八千里路云与月。
回复:0 阅读:958
【免责声明】讨论内容仅作学术交流之用,不作为诊疗依据,由此而引起的法律问题作者及本站不承担任何责任。
快速回复
进入高级回复
您最多可输入10000个汉字,按 "Ctrl" + "Enter" 直接发送
搜索回复/乘电梯 ×
按内容
按会员
乘电梯